Exhaustion...the list goes on...
Earlier last week, I once again broke out the bbq and made grilled chicken with teriyaki sauce, corn, mashed potatoes, and salad for my gal pals for our Sex and the City night. I must say that I am getting better at cooking chicken on the grill, I am no longer afraid that it is raw and thus, I must cook it until it becomes firm and rubber-ha! I also had some busy days at work, my boss taught me JMP a great stats program which we used to look at my data and then the end of the week was spent writing drafts of Neuroscience meeting abstract, submitted by Fri evening thank god. I was praying that I wouldn't have to work on it during the weekend.
I then went out half-comatose with my labmates to a wonderful Japanese restaurant. I used to associated sushi with Japanese food only, never realizing that there is so much more variety than that-not just vegetable tempura but sweet potatoes, weird sounding vegetables, dumplings, you name it and you don't feel that full afterwards. It made me want to go to Japan. Next year maybe-after all, LA is closer than the ecoast. On Saturday, I stayed home most of the day as I have been having periods of terrible allergies lately, so just kicked back and read, watched some cheesy dvds like that flick The New World, and ate a lot of junk food. On Sunday, I felt much better so after popping over to work, I exercised and then started work part II-I had just received my reviews back on my Arizona manuscript (to review the saga-it was submitted last August, it took 4 months to get the reviews back, I made revisions and resubmitted in Feb, and just got the second set of reviews, 3 months later). So some minor changes-been working nonstop since Sunday to get them done and in so that I can find out if it's finally accepted and will go to press. Jesus. Of course my sleeping habits suck b/c of this, I am too wired so was comatose today at work. Oh, but I will say that on Sunday I played tennis for the first time in a year-since Arizona (Caroline-since you and I played!). I played with my neighbor Keith and the nice thing is that we are both at the same level, we played at some tennis courts in a park near my house for 1.5 hours, came back, had some beer (one of the few occasions when I want one), and then I did some writing. It felt great (my backhand still sucks though)! -I am sore all over today...so hopefully it can become at least a monthly thing as the weather is beautiful and it makes me feel alive. Although my neighbor's schedule is more chaotic than mine-with his travel, work, friends in town visiting, etc pretty amusing.
So this week is busy and playing catchup, also have to prepare to give lab mtg on fri, gone are the days when I have weeks ahead of time to prepare, now I am lucky if I have a few days. What else-have to pick up our new postdoc who will be settling in on Wed nite, also another Sex and the City girls' night on Thurs, and then this weekend should be chill. I finally bought my ticket for the ecoast, will be heading thru Tucson first in late June, then making the circuit to see family and friends back east-cramming alot in as usual, first going to Boston, then NYC, then Long Island, then Albany, then Lake Placid, back to Albany...2 plus weeks in total.
Ps. for those of you who are big Charmed fans, it will have its series finale (8 years, longest running female lead series ever) this coming Sunday night-boo hoo.
Julie
I then went out half-comatose with my labmates to a wonderful Japanese restaurant. I used to associated sushi with Japanese food only, never realizing that there is so much more variety than that-not just vegetable tempura but sweet potatoes, weird sounding vegetables, dumplings, you name it and you don't feel that full afterwards. It made me want to go to Japan. Next year maybe-after all, LA is closer than the ecoast. On Saturday, I stayed home most of the day as I have been having periods of terrible allergies lately, so just kicked back and read, watched some cheesy dvds like that flick The New World, and ate a lot of junk food. On Sunday, I felt much better so after popping over to work, I exercised and then started work part II-I had just received my reviews back on my Arizona manuscript (to review the saga-it was submitted last August, it took 4 months to get the reviews back, I made revisions and resubmitted in Feb, and just got the second set of reviews, 3 months later). So some minor changes-been working nonstop since Sunday to get them done and in so that I can find out if it's finally accepted and will go to press. Jesus. Of course my sleeping habits suck b/c of this, I am too wired so was comatose today at work. Oh, but I will say that on Sunday I played tennis for the first time in a year-since Arizona (Caroline-since you and I played!). I played with my neighbor Keith and the nice thing is that we are both at the same level, we played at some tennis courts in a park near my house for 1.5 hours, came back, had some beer (one of the few occasions when I want one), and then I did some writing. It felt great (my backhand still sucks though)! -I am sore all over today...so hopefully it can become at least a monthly thing as the weather is beautiful and it makes me feel alive. Although my neighbor's schedule is more chaotic than mine-with his travel, work, friends in town visiting, etc pretty amusing.
So this week is busy and playing catchup, also have to prepare to give lab mtg on fri, gone are the days when I have weeks ahead of time to prepare, now I am lucky if I have a few days. What else-have to pick up our new postdoc who will be settling in on Wed nite, also another Sex and the City girls' night on Thurs, and then this weekend should be chill. I finally bought my ticket for the ecoast, will be heading thru Tucson first in late June, then making the circuit to see family and friends back east-cramming alot in as usual, first going to Boston, then NYC, then Long Island, then Albany, then Lake Placid, back to Albany...2 plus weeks in total.
Ps. for those of you who are big Charmed fans, it will have its series finale (8 years, longest running female lead series ever) this coming Sunday night-boo hoo.
Julie

5 Comments:
I haven't played tennis since I left Tucson either, Jules! Did you like the New World?
hey caroline-the new world was ok-not bd, not great either.
"8 years, longest running female lead series ever"
I may be wrong here, but didn't The Facts of Life run from '79-'88. That would be 8 years. And if I recall correctly, there must have been a female lead in there somewhere.
Correction, that would be 9 years.
Damn math at 6am!!!!
hey ken-you're right-the facts of life and charmed are neck to neck-so i said that part about the series cause they quote that, but they (ie newspapers, etc) must have forgotten about facts of life-i loved facts of life, the funnier thing is that charmed addiction must run in my family as my brother has watched the show since its beginning and just asked me to tape the season finale while he is off on vacation in the Dominican Republic!
Post a Comment
<< Home