Sunday, April 24, 2005

On my way...

Okay, so this week I was definitely not sitting on my ass watching cable tv. Although I did watch a few hours last night. Let's see- so I worked my ass off and gave into my neurotic state to finish a first draft of first paper for Rick. I printed it out on Friday morning and gave it to him on Friday afternoon. I worked some evenings late to get it done because I knew that I would have less motivation in LA. I did warn him that I wasn't sure that the draft was very powerful (meaning, if you got inside my head- I think the writing sucks...I lost all writing ability since I finished the dissertation...who in their right mind gave me a Phd....etc, etc). I told him to feel free to slash and burn. I have to honestly say that after the whole process of writing the dissertation and going through several drafts per chapter with him, I am less sensitive to criticism on my writing and if someone told me that it sucked, I would just shrug my shoulders in apathy. Where was I? Hmmm- stream of consciousness. Okay, well I also deleted all my files from my lab rig room computer, made the goodbye rounds, and handed in my keys. I felt a sense of completion, not sadness. I guess in one sense being sick made me more ready to move on. I felt the same sense of completion tonight when I finished 95% of my packing. This included sorting all of my files in my file cabinet and neatly packaging them in folders and labeling (Lisa- you would be proud!). I have spent the last few days packing my house and again, I feel productive. I have been throwing out a ton of shit- stuff that just sat in my house unused from my previous move (Stone Loop, DC) including a humidifier which I never used. You would think- Arizona=dry, use humidifier but I guess I was too lazy. I just enjoy having dry skin and knuckles. Okay, I digress again- so what else? I have been balancing my finances and realizing that I will be in the debt hole for a few months. I have to put down 1st month's rent and security deposit and that could run me 2000-3000 bucks, plus paying for the moving company ($1400) which in my mind is necessary. Renting a U-haul and towing my car would be a few hundred dollars left but who wants the stress? Or to drive it to LA?
So, I leave on Tuesday to look for housing in LA. I am going to look near UCLA and Santa Monica. My dream is to live near the beach but first, I would just like to find something I like.
Then, I will come back and finish stuff up- May 4th looks to be my official moving out day. My dad and I will get in the car and drive to LA. He'll stay with me a few days (father's guilt=help 30 yr old daughter) . I will have to go into the new lab ASAP. I suppose that I will have some initial nervousness about a new place and lab but right now, I am pretty focused and not nervous. Just want to get settled. I am getting excited instead of sad.
Besides, I can't really be sad when I will come back to Tucson periodically and visit- our book group will still meet periodically. It's nice to keep up the bonds. Well, time for bed almost. More soon....Julie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home