Monday, July 04, 2005

Tucson weekend!

It's July 4th and I have been vegging out all day after arriving back from Tucson this morning. I even needed to take a nap! Rented a DVD to watch-Flight of the Phoenix with Dennis Quaid-a decent action movie but a bit unrealistic. Anyways, my flight on Fri. got in late, but still early enough to experience the hot Tucson weather-ha! and go with some friends to my favorite bar in Tucson, Kingfisher, and have a few glasses of wine. Well, I drink so little these days in LA that I have no tolerance so I was very buzzed, which kept me up at night and so I was pretty comatose on Sat. as were my companions. I did manage to go and close my Bank 1 account and receive a check for 94 bucks which will rapidly be drained from my account here! So, I sat on the porch at Linden place (tried to peep in at my old house but without success, didn't meet its new occupant) most of the day until book group. It was pleasant just to sit and do nothing. Book group of course was fabulous-we had a lively discussion of Kite Runner (got a high rating, 7.6 out of 10), a nice meal, and a lot of laughter. It was decided that book group will come to LA in September to visit and we will have a double book discussion-The Archivist and Eva Moves the Furniture. Perhaps a discussion on the beach? Anyways, I was so tired on Sat nite that my host and I went to bed early, woke up on Sunday, went for a long bike ride -yes I have to leave Tucson to be willing to get excited about being on a bike, hahah, maybe b/c Tucson seems tame now in comparison to LA?....biking in Tucson is so much easier than driving a car in LA traffic...
Well, then I went into my old lab for a few hours, had a nice chat with Rick, and went through some data- it didn't feel too weird to be there andI definitely don't want to turn back time and be a graduate student again. Then, later on Sunday, we had a big ole' bbq at Linden place so it was nice to see friends although sorry to have missed those of you who were out of town. It did feel like old times and once again, I ate so much that I felt bloated! It was a busy weekend but it felt good to be there and not too weird. I do feel like LA is my home now but it is nice to go back and visit Tucson. Thank you to my Linden neighbor hosts-I love you guys!

Well, back to reality tomorrow and work!

Julie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home