Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My first Hollywood experience- I saw Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt tonight!

Hi all,
So I had my first true Hollywood experience tonight. After work, I walked
with my labmates down a few blocks from UCLA to this movie theater in
Westwood- Westwood is the area surrounding UCLA, full of shops and
stores. This movie theater was the site for the movie premiere of Mr. and
Mrs. Smith- the new movie starring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. They had
cameras out and a red carpet with a barricade for fans along the carpet
leading up to the theater. One of our undergrads in the lab went down
earlier, around 4pm (I went around 6pm) and managed to stand right behind
the red carpet so she had a great view. I, on the other hand, was busy
finishing experiments so couldn't get down there as early. But I managed
to give my camera to our undergrad who was up front. However, we did get
a spot behind a second set of barricades, about 15 ft from the red
carpet. There were tons of people there. Earlier they had given out
t-shirts - white for girls saying "Mrs. Smith" and black for boys- "Mr.
Smith." The announcer guy was from a local radio station and he managed
to get some stars up on his box platform to talk. At about 6:30pm, guests
started to arrive but the stars didn't start to arrive until about 7:00pm.
The first recognizable arrival was Mary Hart, the anchor from
Entertainment Tonight. There were a couple of people from tv shows who I
didn't recogize too well although I did recognize Gary Dourhan- the black
guy from CSI, also Nicolette Sheridan from Desperate Housewives, David
Hasselhoff (Knight Rider), Cindy Crawford, David Boreanz (Angel), Lindsey
Lohan (preening for photographers and waved to fans and got overcome with
how excited everyone was, she's not that pretty blonde and yes, looks
really skinny), also Jon Favreau from Swingers, Kimberly Stewart (Paris
Hilton's new best friend). Well, then the actor "Pedro" from Napoleon
Dynamite showed up- got up on the platform and everyone was super excited
to see him- he was like "Did everyone vote for Pedro" and also did a
little dance for everyone. Then, one of the movie's stars, Adam Brody,
showed up- Adam is the cute dark-haired boy in the tv show "OC" and he is
totally a nice guy. He was chatting with the radio guy about music bands
and making jokes.

ALLRIGHT- so now you want to know about major stars. So, I was looking off
to the wrong side and I heard people screaming Angelina Jolie- I found her
signing autographs about 10 ft away from me-she looks taller in real life.
Her hair was all poofed out and she was wearing a black dress. She looked
larger than life. She spent a lot of time near my side signing and
avoiding the photographers. So, I had about 10 min to watch her. She is
beautiful of course especially when she smiles. She also got up on the
platform to talk with the radio guy and sounded just like on tv- just
thanked the fans, etc talked about the movie. She sounds really sweet and genuine. Meanwhile, she passed right next to my undergrad lab mate with my camera who proceeded to get a close shot of Angelina (stay tuned for photos!). It was so surreal. Then, Brad Pitt was over on my side signing autographs- his hair was dyed blond which wasn't too appealing but he is still cute in person. And tall! I got a really good look at him and apparently, he chatted with our labmate- just really nice and cool- like "hey, how you guys doing" and they got him to sign the back of their research articles. I saw his signature - two initials. They also got close photos of him. Both Pitt and Jolie spent a lot of time signing autographs with fans. I spent a lot of time screaming and observing. They were really 15 feet away from me. If I had gotten their earlier, I would have been able to speak to them- so crazy! And no, I didn't see Jolie or Pitt interact at all.
Anyways, the stars went into the theater and I headed home. I am still
flabbergasted that I saw them in person. The funniest thing is that I found out that people in my lab loved reading the movie and entertainment rags so we have been trading US and People around the lab- the most embarrasing thing is that my boss left a People magazine on my desk! Meanwhile, I am going to get my film developed so stay tuned...I will post photos on the blog, oh- I am going to try to post Colin Farrell photos taken by a labmate some time ago at another movie premiere.

Julie

2 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

Great post, Julie.

Keep us updated. I think Brad and Angelina are faking it.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

too funny, Jules. You must be in heaven with all these celebrities around. And your boss reads People? I will leave a copy in Rick's mailbox and see what he says about it.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home