Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Barely Awake...

Allright, so my new post is late. I plead tiredness. Two weekends ago I spent part of the weekend preparing for my first house party. It went well-most of the people who came were from my lab so ended up with between 15-20 people total. I did invite my neighbors too but none of them could really make it. But lately I have been talking to them a lot-it's such a friendly neighborhood-one of my neighbor's kids set up a lemonade stand with donations given to the hurricane victims.
And my other neighbor Chuck got carted away in an ambulance one night-turns out he had pneumonia-I know how that feels. My other neighbor Mark, who acts in soaps (no, no idea which ones), got a part in this new Kelly Clarkson video, pretty cool.
Well, I digress, for the party, I did a lot of cooking-made lasanga, Asian noodle salad, green salad, people brought dessert and some things to grill. I have to admit there was some science talk but also interesting discussions such as male vs. female drivers. I ended up with a full case of beer left and as most of you know, I don't drink beer, so it will be in my fridge for a while.
So, I was happy but tired after my party. Then, I worked like 60 hours the following week-learning how to run Western blots. I worked pretty much 12 straight hours each day and although it made me tired, I felt energized-to be learning new techniques and getting results.
I had a second head-butting incident with the boss which was worse than the first and I spent part of this weekend agonizing over it but I am learning to just let it roll off my shoulders and focus on my research. There is a certain amount of pressure to get data because our project is competitive so my stress level as a postdoc is certainly higher.

Hmm, so this weekend, in honor of my hard work week, I decided to veg a lot. I walked around the beach, bought Rufus Wainwright's CD, strolled around the Santa Monica shops, and watched marathon episodes of Nip/Tuck, the 2nd season just came out on video, it's an addiction for me. Yeah-so I ate a ton of junk food and watched it. I did try to look for a book at the bookstore but no luck-I don't seem to have the patience to read. Just magazines and newspapers but lately I have been so tired when I get home, that I can't even do that. My sleep patterns have been off though b/c I have been working so much.

This week has been really busy so far but not as long hours as last week. I am also trying to balance my work with being more social-tonight I went out to dinner at a cute Italian place in Brentwood (you know where OJ simpson lives) with a gal pal, so nice to bitch and relax, going to try to go to this postdoc happy hour on Fri night in UCLA, and then on Sat/Sunday, will be meeting some of my fellow Wellesley alums living in LA. In fact (Taryn you will chuckle on this), on Sunday I am hosting an event at my house-it's service day across the country, and the LA alums are going to be knitting caps for preemie babies. So, yeah-I will have a knitting circle at my house. Why not! Just have to clean the place first.

Julie

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is creative Keep up the great work. Here's the resolve a lot of people are searching for; how to buy & sell everything, like msn music on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Julie, I didn't know you could knit!?!

Why do I forsee little beanies with manduca all over them?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Julie Miller said...

lisa-ha-actually i don't knit-never learned so this will be a first time with all the ladies.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home