No real news...
So in my last post, I mentioned getting sick-well it took me a week and a half to recover fully. So, I was off some days from work, then recovered. I have been having conversations with friends-originally I thought that my increase in colds, etc since coming to LA was due to my bout with pneumonia but now I have learned that many other friends have gotten sick more often in LA than anywhere else. So yeah-chock it up to the pollution, the big city, lots of people.
So, after being sick, I felt alive again so that first weekend I celebrated by going to the movies. I saw two excellent films-The Prestige and Flags of Our Fathers. I still have Running With Scissors and Babel on my to see list. I also saw some friends, incl two dinners out-one with a guy that I have been dating (but nothing serious yet :) at this cafe on main street in Santa Monica-nice patio courtyard, a bit pricey (but then I was buying-see Lisa-I know how to reciprocrate :), but very relaxing, then a dinner for a friend's b-day at this place in Venice, a bit of a tapas bar. The food was ok but the company was terrific -it was fun to talk to people in other jobs, such as the movie business, one woman makes war documentaries so we were talking about flying in other countries-some countries are sketchier than others like Africa.
Fast-forward to this past week where I just tried to do experiments, didn't do much this weekend other than watch dvds (have become hooked on Prison Break!), see a few friends, enjoy the warm weather, get back into working out after a hiatus due to sickness. I am still trying to organize a neighborhood watch mtg and a book group for the winter, but like everything else, it's on my to-do list. I am trying not to think about writing my grant applications, incl a revised NRSA, have basically two weeks to do them if my boss and I meet our self-imposed deadline, ie before Tgiving. My next visitor will be my brother who is coming over the X-mas and New Year's holidays so I am excited about that. It will force me to actually get out and see more of LA because I really haven't been adventuring in the last few months, don't even make it down to the beach that often!
I finally read a good book-The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, a memoir, reminded me a bit of Augusten Burrough's Running with Scissors, a dysfunctional family and she survived it.
Other than that, my energy lately is only for readings magazines.
Julie
So, after being sick, I felt alive again so that first weekend I celebrated by going to the movies. I saw two excellent films-The Prestige and Flags of Our Fathers. I still have Running With Scissors and Babel on my to see list. I also saw some friends, incl two dinners out-one with a guy that I have been dating (but nothing serious yet :) at this cafe on main street in Santa Monica-nice patio courtyard, a bit pricey (but then I was buying-see Lisa-I know how to reciprocrate :), but very relaxing, then a dinner for a friend's b-day at this place in Venice, a bit of a tapas bar. The food was ok but the company was terrific -it was fun to talk to people in other jobs, such as the movie business, one woman makes war documentaries so we were talking about flying in other countries-some countries are sketchier than others like Africa.
Fast-forward to this past week where I just tried to do experiments, didn't do much this weekend other than watch dvds (have become hooked on Prison Break!), see a few friends, enjoy the warm weather, get back into working out after a hiatus due to sickness. I am still trying to organize a neighborhood watch mtg and a book group for the winter, but like everything else, it's on my to-do list. I am trying not to think about writing my grant applications, incl a revised NRSA, have basically two weeks to do them if my boss and I meet our self-imposed deadline, ie before Tgiving. My next visitor will be my brother who is coming over the X-mas and New Year's holidays so I am excited about that. It will force me to actually get out and see more of LA because I really haven't been adventuring in the last few months, don't even make it down to the beach that often!
I finally read a good book-The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, a memoir, reminded me a bit of Augusten Burrough's Running with Scissors, a dysfunctional family and she survived it.
Other than that, my energy lately is only for readings magazines.
Julie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home