Nuts & Bolts
Hmm, okay, I have been a lazy blogger-it's been two weeks since my last post. I gave my first birdsong talk on Dec. 5th-I didn't have much time to practice it because I was spending most of my time the week before finishing my NRSA application. So the delivery wasn't as smooth as I like it but people thought it went well, unless they were lying to me hah. I did get some good feedback on my proposed research aims although it also made me realize that I need to think more about them. I always have this goal when I give presentations of making sure people understand everything. I went to a talk of a girl who went over microarray data and didn't explain anything and you have to assume that you're audience doesn't know what you're talking about so I never want to do that.
Then, that same week, we had our lab holiday party and secret santa which was a blast-incl reading poems about each other and then you had to guess who was who. My boss wrote a poem about me-it was hilarious. I also got back into doing experiments-kinda a nice feeling after all that time spent writing. Well, it was supposed to be my first free stress-free weekend after that period but I got sick-yup some sort of mild flu which put me out of commission all weekend (thank goodness I had gone grcoery shopping and cleaned before I got sick), so I didn't go into work on Mon. and it took me all of last week to get rid of my cold. So, it's now been over a week since I exercised and I would have this weekend, but just not in the mood.
So this past week at work was pretty slow-b/c of being sick and waiting on stuff. There were a bunch of holiday parties and happy hours, I also went to two movies with my postdoc circle of friends-The Chronicles of Narnia and Walk the Line. I found Narnia to be surprisingly good-they did a good job. Like the nerd I am, I re-read the books while I was sick. We also went to a British pub after-I love it-reminds me of my Scotland days. Last night we all went to dinner -Indian food-a new place near me, and then saw Walk the Line. I hadn't really listened to Johnny Cash before or knew of him but it was an excellent movie-I found myself tapping my toe in time to the music.
Oh yeah-so I checked out two new stores too-one is Adventure 16-an outdoorsy store for hiking, camping, etc, fabulous, and Helen's Cycles which I went to b/c the Busy Bee Hardware store of Santa Monica didn't have this tire knut (I got my own used bike finally courtesy of a Tucson friend). This bike store is the biggest that I have ever seen! It was very active-lots of people coming and going. And not too far from my house. I hope to bike down to the beach next weekend. Yeah-so originally I didn't know the difference between a bolt and knut-now I do thanks to the guy at the hardware store who thought I was an idiot.
Today is a lazy day, I do have to go into work for a while but not too much else. This week at work will be busy, I am also going to be doing some airport driving of course, and then on Dec. 28th, I head off to Washington DC to spend New Year's with my brother. I just decided to do it-haven't seen him in a year and want a change of scenery. I got a nonstop flight on the way over so it will only be 4 1/2 hours but the way back will be long-oh well! I cannot believe it will be New Year's Eve 2006-and then 5 days later I turn 31! Time flies...I can hardly believe that I have been here in LA now for 7 months plus....
Julie
Then, that same week, we had our lab holiday party and secret santa which was a blast-incl reading poems about each other and then you had to guess who was who. My boss wrote a poem about me-it was hilarious. I also got back into doing experiments-kinda a nice feeling after all that time spent writing. Well, it was supposed to be my first free stress-free weekend after that period but I got sick-yup some sort of mild flu which put me out of commission all weekend (thank goodness I had gone grcoery shopping and cleaned before I got sick), so I didn't go into work on Mon. and it took me all of last week to get rid of my cold. So, it's now been over a week since I exercised and I would have this weekend, but just not in the mood.
So this past week at work was pretty slow-b/c of being sick and waiting on stuff. There were a bunch of holiday parties and happy hours, I also went to two movies with my postdoc circle of friends-The Chronicles of Narnia and Walk the Line. I found Narnia to be surprisingly good-they did a good job. Like the nerd I am, I re-read the books while I was sick. We also went to a British pub after-I love it-reminds me of my Scotland days. Last night we all went to dinner -Indian food-a new place near me, and then saw Walk the Line. I hadn't really listened to Johnny Cash before or knew of him but it was an excellent movie-I found myself tapping my toe in time to the music.
Oh yeah-so I checked out two new stores too-one is Adventure 16-an outdoorsy store for hiking, camping, etc, fabulous, and Helen's Cycles which I went to b/c the Busy Bee Hardware store of Santa Monica didn't have this tire knut (I got my own used bike finally courtesy of a Tucson friend). This bike store is the biggest that I have ever seen! It was very active-lots of people coming and going. And not too far from my house. I hope to bike down to the beach next weekend. Yeah-so originally I didn't know the difference between a bolt and knut-now I do thanks to the guy at the hardware store who thought I was an idiot.
Today is a lazy day, I do have to go into work for a while but not too much else. This week at work will be busy, I am also going to be doing some airport driving of course, and then on Dec. 28th, I head off to Washington DC to spend New Year's with my brother. I just decided to do it-haven't seen him in a year and want a change of scenery. I got a nonstop flight on the way over so it will only be 4 1/2 hours but the way back will be long-oh well! I cannot believe it will be New Year's Eve 2006-and then 5 days later I turn 31! Time flies...I can hardly believe that I have been here in LA now for 7 months plus....
Julie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home